Friday 21 September 2012

SUNSET – SUNRISE



We watched the sunset on Italy.........................



 ...............and rise again in the waters of Spain.

On Monday we left Rome for Civitavecchia to catch the ferry to Barcelona. We travelled on the train and it was surprisingly pleasant and reasonably priced.

Some mild hiccoughs on the way but this was our own fault since we failed to do our research properly. It had been our plan being to deposit our bags at the ferry terminal and spend the day in the sea-side town of Civitavecchia but that was not to be. There was no baggage deposit thus we had to remain with our cases at all times. Grrrr! Fortunately the day was not lost and we had a relaxing time reading and ‘re-grouping’ for our next leg of the trip.  We also  took it in turn to  go ‘walk-about’ for an hour or so at a time.



Once we boarded and settled into our cabin for our 20 hour ‘cruise’ we moved to the upper deck to chat and drink coffee until our departure at 20-00 hrs. Whilst on deck we met a 23 year old lass from California who was back-packing her way round Europe for 3 months. Caitlin, or Kate as she likes to be called was interesting and courageous, back-packing solo around Europe for three months and more. In many ways she reminded me of my own ‘wilder’ times as a youth back-packing round the UK by thumb, a wing and a prayer.



I remembered a time 40 or so years ago (Now I’m really giving away my age) when an older couple (Older? Well, they Seemed older according to my distant memory) gave me a lift to Cornwall. They could see that I was broke and insisted on giving me a good feed before parting ways. All they asked in return was for me to one day ‘pass on’ this deed. This was our opportunity to reciprocate!



The ferry is well equipped and has a great al a carte restaurant and the three of us has a great Italian meal over 3 hours before parting company, she to her “wherever I can catch a sleep” and ourselves to our cozy cabin for the night. All we ask in return is that, one day Katie will ‘pass on the favour’ when she, like ourselves is in a position to do so.




Julie is still sleeping in her bunk whilst I am now on the upper deck drinking espresso and watching the sun rise over the horizon. Next stop Barcelona and our adventure continues.

We miss you guys (but not a lot)!

No comments:

Post a Comment