Saturday 8 September 2012

WE ARRIVE ALIVE


In the beginning................

Well, after 2 years planning the start has finally arrived. Woke up this morning and the full magnitude of this holiday struck home; we were actually on our way. The hard part was saying farewell to our friends and neighbours.

We met up with Julie’s daughter for breakfast at Crown Perth, (Burswood). Had a fun time before returning home to finish packing. Lots of bitching and grumping but we eventually managed to get our gear within the weight limit allowed.

This evening was spent out for dinner with friends and family at our local Indian restaurant. Susan joined us as our representative from work and a great time was had by all. Thanks for joining us Susan, it was great having you there. A little too much alcohol was drunk but hey, I wasn’t driving and Julie doesn’t drink so that solved that little problem and was soon solved.
 This evening was spent out for dinner with friends and family at our local Indian restaurant. Susan joined us as our representative from work and a great time was had by all. Thanks for joining us Susan, it was great having you there. A little too much alcohol was drunk but hey, I wasn't driving and Julie doesn’t drink so that solved that little problem and was soon solved.

 We have to be at the airport at 3 am so we are now ‘killing time’ at our friends house and Russell will be taking us to the airport at 3. Julie has gone  for a sleep and I’m trying to appear reasonably intelligent by writing this. I suspect I’m not doing a very good job either; the perils of alcohol!



One thing I do know, It’s hard to believe that this time tomorrow we’ll be in Dubai on the start of this amazing trip!

SORRY I DID NOT POST AS PROMISED – HAD TROUBLE GETTING INTERNET ACCESS.

Saturday evening.
Most of you have heard about poor Julie’s fear of flying, a fear more aligned to phobia than fear. I was greatly impressed by her calmness and determination to overcome and she was remarkably relaxed at the airport and even as we boarded. As the plane left the runway and reached ever higher in its’ assent Julie promptly grabbed hold of me cling on for dear life. As the plane roared onwards she ‘gently’ (NOT) gripped my shirt and almost strangling me stated “let me off NOW! I want to go home”! After much encouragement she began to calm, especially when she realised I had forgotten to pack the parachute and the remainder of our flight was uneventful barring a few brief periods of turbulence, the worst being as we crossed the equator. After ten hours we landed safely in Dubai we alighted safely. Julie was amazed to see that no wings had fallen off, both engines were still attached and more to the point we were both still alive and our holiday could commence in earnest.

It’s stinking hot – over 40c – and not forecast to be under 34c even during the night. Thankfully the hotel is fabulous and the rooftop swimming pool has already had a good work-out. Photos to follow.

Will post again in a few days when I will have a few photos to add.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry folks, I was worn out and half asleep when I posted this. I now know that I double entered one paragraph, but hey - thems the breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, look like all is going well. Enjoy and keep us posted...
    Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys. Glad to hear you arrived safely. Very proud of you mum.;) Although if not for Michael it sounds like you might of jumped out! Love Lauren

    ReplyDelete