Tuesday 15 January 2013

ANAHEIM – DISNEYLAND




Great start to our stay in Anaheim! We settled into our room and prepared to go for a meal in the hotel restaurant before showering and settling for the night. My glasses (spectacles NOT drinking glasses) were a wee bit grubby thus I cleaned them as I usually do.



Bad move as the frame bridge simply snapped in two! This was not good since I am blind as a bat without them. My only solution was to resort to my prescription sunnies until a solution could be found.

Our meal in the dining room was had with me being ‘Mr Cool’, wearing sunnies indoors at night!

Fortunately all was not lost and I was able to find an optometrist who could prepare new specs in ‘approx. 1 hour’. As such our first morning was spent arranging new specs and leaving me $700 lighter! I guess that’s’ another one for our travel insurance along with a busted computer from earlier in our trip!




Day One of our Disneyland adventure commenced with a visit to the sister park of Adventure Land. This park didn’t exist when I was here 20 years ago so it was a brand new experience for both me and Julie.






Most of this park is geared up to younger participants with only a couple of ‘white knuckle’ rides.



Our primary purpose for visiting this park was for the ‘World of Colour’ show at night but the day escapade was great.





My first stop was the ‘Tower of Terror’ ride; I couldn’t persuade Julie to join me though. She is quite happy with the tamer rides of the funfair.




My favourite ride was ‘California Screaming’; quite a long roller-coaster ride with upside down turns and rapid twists. I could ride these all day but the lines to get on were quite long despite it being out of season.

The weather was reasonable on our first day and we were able to walk around during the day without heavy sweaters and coats. Unfortunately the weather was forecast to turn unseasonably cold over the next few days so we made the most of it.





As the evening drew nearer we got ourselves a good spot to await the World of Colour show scheduled to start at 8.00 pm. It was well worth the wait!



We took some photos and some video, but most of the time I was too busy watching the show to take photos. The Disney Corporation has really excelled with this addition to their repertoire.




The included photos do not do it justice and it was an incredible experience and well worth the wait.

This video clip is just a sample to show how the experience was viewed by us on the night.

It was amazing how they reflected the images off the water vapour.
Tomorrow we are off to Disneyland Park. Julie assures me she loved Adventure Park so it’s my guess that she will be blown away by the real Disneyland areas.


I'm not sure when the next blog will be up. We are in the Waldorf hotel and they want to charge $18.95 for 24 hrs wi-fi access! 

No comments:

Post a Comment