Thursday 3 January 2013

GRIMSBY 24TH – 28TH DECEMBER


Just spent 4 nights in Grimsby with my sister Susan and brother in law Darryl. Let me introduce them.



Susan, my sister; She and I were often in conflict as children. I did drop a brick on her head though so I probably deserved it when she pushed me off the top of a slide in the playground!

The dog is their 'baby', Cody! He is a real smarty pants creature who is brighter than any dog I have met before.

The two girls are my nieces, Marie in blue and Faye in black.



Darryl, my brother-in-law; A man I admire tremendously. A few years ago he was diagnosed with cancer and had radical chemo and surgery. It appeared to have been arrested but now it’s back! He commences a new chemo course early in the New Year.

He is very positive and one heck of a fighter. If anyone can beat this he can AND WILL!



Initially I was anxious, not having seen them for 17 years. Why was I anxious? 2 reasons come to mind; Firstly, sometimes we leave things too long! And this was one of those situations. Secondly my sister and I can usually only manage a couple of days at best before we are at one another’s throats. I think we have both mellowed now! During our visit we did not fight and row.



It was with some trepidation that we drove to Grimsby on Christmas Eve. We left Hailsham, East Sussex at 6.30 am in order to arrive as early as possible. It was a wet and windy day so the trip was longer than planned but we arrived in one piece.  It was clear that time was too short to waste on stupid dis-agreements and arguments. Our only regret is that we were not there longer. Our time together was precious; what’s more, for Susan and Julie it was their first meeting. I guess they both have a ‘new sister’ now!



Grimsby is a special place for me; I was born there and left just before my 6th birthday. I have never returned so it was a ‘return to roots’ for me and a chance for Julie to see where I originated from. (Some would say it was where I was hatched but we won’t go there).






It was weird visiting the street where I was born, mostly demolished now but we were able to guesstimate where our house had stood. (Approx. where the sub-station box stands).



Cleethorpes was the local beach where we played as kids and surprisingly little has changed.




We visited the Peoples’ Park where Dad was the head groundsman/gardener and the Boulevard where we played. Memory plays weird tricks; I always imagined these places being a long way from the house. I guess with ‘little legs’ it was a long way but now it’s just round the corner, literally.


Susan is a great cook and we were fed til we burst!




Christmas was fabulous and we got to meet up with my niece Marie and family who were staying with Susan.



Even the dogs  got into the act with their Christmas presents.




Then after Christmas we got to meet up with Faye, my other niece and her daughter and partner. Boy, do I feel old meeting up with ‘adult’ family and their grown up families.




It rained for most of our stay in Grimsby but that didn’t stop us getting out and about.
We made time to visit ‘the Wolds’ and the Humber Bridge, a bridge built after our departure from Grimsby.





Susan is a great cook and has made some fantastic cakes in the past. Her current offerings did not disappoint!

All the decorations are hand made by Susan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment