Monday 19 November 2012

LIVERPOOL 17th – 21st NOVEMBER - Part 1




Had a great drive up from Eastbourne; was able to enjoy some of the scenery and be reminded of some of the things I do miss having migrated to Australia 19 years ago. The trouble is though I’d miss more in Australia than I do here.


 The drive took us near Warwick so we deviated slightly and called into Warwick for lunch. I lived there for almost 2 years back in the early 80’s so it was a chance to have lunch in one of my old drinking spots.



A few of our friends, when they heard we were coming to Liverpool were asking ‘why’? My answer to them is “Have you been there recently”?


The area we are staying in is not one to be recommended; it may have been a touch of paranoia but Julie and I are sure we were being ‘lined-up’ for a mugging when out walking on the first evening. I certainly wouldn’t recommend walking alone at night! Having said that, once out of this area we love it.



The area around the port has undergone, and still is undergoing major rejuvenation. We ticked another of our ‘bucket list’ items and took a trip on the well known Ferry Across The Mersey with a visit to Birkenhead and The Wirral.



The old warehouses and port buildings have undergone significant renovation and the area is now vibrant and exciting. The architecture is interesting and well worth a look.



There is a good range of Christmas lights here so the streets of the center look lovely at night. I guess now it's nearing Christmas the places we visit will be well endowed with Christmas cheer and lights.






There is not a heap of things to do but one of the reasons for coming here was as a base for more of the area. I wanted Julie to see some of my background which for many years was based in Birmingham. By Australian standards Birmingham is ‘just down the road’ at less than 100 miles away (170 klms), so today we took a trip there.




It was great seeing the places I grew up in




and my old play ground of Sutton Park.

We also visited my old work place; my pre-nursing work, that is.



Ah! Memories!




Birmingham city has a good range of street lights for Christmas and it was a great day out.

Its' forecast for heavy rain tomorrow so another road trip  looks to be on the cards. We're planning to visit the Cavern where the Beatles started out and then maybe take an hours drive up to Blackpool for the day.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment